Email MeRyan L. Young
RYAN L. YOUNG focuses his practice by representing employers in labor and employment matters before state, federal and administrative courts. He counsels and defends employers on matters involving harassment claims, discrimination and retaliation claims, wage and hour claims, and other labor and employment issues arising under state and federal laws.
Prior to joining Wessels Sherman, Mr. Young was an attorney for Illinois Senate President John J. Cullerton where he was the lead attorney on the senate’s labor, commerce and revenue committees. In addition, Mr. Young previously worked for a management-side labor and employment law firm in Chicago where he gained substantial experience counseling employers on a variety of employment issues.
Mr. Young earned his Juris Doctorate degree from the University Of Iowa College of Law, where he was a two-time member on the school’s ABA Labor and Employment Law Trial Competition team. Mr. Young earned his Masters in Business Administration from the University of Iowa Tippie School of Management where he was Chairman of the MBA Judicial Board, leading a group of students and administrators in the drafting and enforcement of the school’s academic misconduct policy. Mr. Young earned his undergraduate degree from the University of Iowa in Business Administration.
Areas of Practice
- Federal, State, and Administrative Litigation
- Employment Discrimination and Harassment Claims
- Wage and Hour Claims
- Employment Contract/Non-Competition Agreement Matters
- University of Iowa College of Law, Iowa City, Iowa
- Juris Doctor
- Honors: ABA Labor and Employment Law Trial Competition Team
- University of Iowa Tippie School of Business, Iowa City, Iowa
- Master of Business Administration
- University of Iowa College of Business, Iowa City, Iowa
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Hot Topics in Wage and Hour Law, Employment Law Institute 2007 (36th Annual) PLI, October, 2007
- Whose Headache Is It? Requests for intermittent FMLA leave are the most vexing problem that HR professionals encounter
- The Illinois Prevailing Wage Act 101
- Now It's Personal - Employment Laws that Hold Business Owners and Executives Personally Liable: there are more than you think!
- Key Policies to Include in Employee Handbooks, Helping Employers in a Tough Economy
- 401(K) Benefit Plan Pitfalls for the New Decade, Helping Employers in a Tough Economy
Professional Associations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Member
- Illinois Bar Association, Member